Ranjit Sagar Dam is about 13 km away from Jamnagar
, a coastal town in Gujarat
. The dam extends to an area of about four square miles and holds about 340 cubic meters of water. The surrounding places of the dam are ideal for holidaying.
The construction of the dam was started by His Highness Jam Ranjitsinhji, but was completed in 1938 during the rule of His Highness Jam Digvijaysinhji, the last ruler of this princely state of Jamnagar. The dam was initially named as Ganga Sagar as a tribute to His Highness Sir Gangasinhji (king of Bikaner), who laid the foundation stone.