Situated on the left bank of Saraswati River, Rani ki Vav is a fine example of subterranean architecture of Gujarat
. It is around 2 km north-west of Patan
. The well has 64 m length, 20 m width and 27 m depth. Built by Udaymati, the queen of Bhimdev (1022-63 AD), it has beautifully carved side walls, pillars, beams and series of steps. Every surface of the well is decorated with finely chiseled sculptures of maidens and Hindu deities, religious motifs and geometrical patterns.
The well has for parts - the entrance staircase, the side wall of the stepped corridors, the multi-storied pillared pavilions and the back walls of the well. The roof of the top storey of each pavilion reaches up to the ground level.
The square bases of the pillars which support the roof are decorated with Ghat-Pallav motifs and quadruple brackets at the top.
The step well was buried for centuries and suffered damage in the past due to neglect and flood of the river Saraswati. After the independence of India, the archaeological survey of India declared this well as a protected monument of national importance.