Situated at Pandua
in Malda District
of West Bengal
, the Qutb Shahi Masjid was constructed in 1582 by Makhdum Shaikh, to honor a Sufi saint Nur Qutb Alam. The inscription on an arch of its central entrance mentions about its origin. The masjid is also known as Sona Masjid (golden mosque) and its original title was derived from the name of the saint. The architecture resembles that of the gaur type Sultanate mosque and Bara Sona Mosque of Gaur-Lakhnauti. Brick and plain stone slabs are used for its construction.
Two aisles divide inside of the mosque into two corridors. Its 5 mihrabs have engrailed arches at the top, and the qibla wall still survive, but the 10 domes which were built on pendentives of the usual Gaur variety carried on stone multifaceted columns has been ruined. The structure of its mihrabs resembles that of the Adina Masjid of Pandua.
The mosque is considered as the last in the line of double aisled prayer chambers. Eklakhi Mausoleum and the shrine of Nur Qutb Alam are near.