Quila Rai Pithora is considered to be the first fortress of Delhi. Located next to Saket and close to Qutab Minar and Garden of Five Senses, this fort was originally built by Tomar rulers of Delhi who had named it as Lal Kot (literally meaning the Red City). Later, when Prithviraj Chauhan became the king of Delhi, he extended Lal Kot by adding massive ramparts, gates, moats and renamed it as Quila Rai Pithora, literally meaning the Fortress of King Prithviraj. However, with Prithviraj's defeat and subsequent death in 1191 after a battle with Afghan sultan Mohammed Ghori, the fort lost its importance. Soon, the capital of the sultanate was shifted to the newly built Siri Fort.
Quila Rai Pithora is today a well-maintained 20-acre conservation park and favorite haunt of morning walkers.