Portuguese Cathedral is situated in the north-eastern side of BBD Bag
, the administrative hub of Kolkata
. Dedicated to Holy Lady of Rosary, the church was built in 1797 by two Portuguese brothers, Joseph and Louis Barretto. Now it is under the supervision of Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kolkata.
The entrance of the church leads to the portico paved with grave stones. There are the figures of Madonna and Child behind the altar. The remains of the first archbishop of Kolkata lie below the altar.
Portuguese Cathedral is accessible from BBD Bagh mini bus stand. The nearest railway station is Howrah Railway Station.