Place Du Gouvernement is a highlight of Pondicherry
. It is inclusive of the 18th century Palais Du Gouvernement, which is now referred to as Raj Nivas. Raj Nivas is not opened to the public. The old tribunal, which houses the Legislative Assembly, can also be seen.
One of the prime attractions is monolithic pillars, which were brought from Gingee Fort after its capture in 1751. A water monument, in the midst of a well-manicured garden, commemorates the introduction of good drinking water for the population.