Built in 1874, the Old Secretariat is one of the ancient structures in Mumbai. Located on the eastern side of the Oval ground (Pope Paul Maidan), the building was designed by a famous architect Col Henry St Clair Walkins. Buff-colored Porbander stone, exported from Gujarat, is used to build the porticos and the arcaded verandahs. There is a tall tower positioned on the staircase and the carvings are adorned with red and blue basalt. The whole structure resembles the architectural style of Venetian Gothic. Today, this historic building functions as the City Civil and Sessions Court.