Mormugoa Fort, built in 1624, is located at Mormugoa in Salcette
taluk of South Goa District
. It was built to protect the harbour situated near the Vasco da Gama
Covered an area of six miles in circumference, it was an important fortress on the western coast of Goa. The fort contained towering bulwarks, three magazines, five prisons, a chapel and quarters for the guard. Fonte de Malabar and Fonte de Santo Ignacio were the two beautiful fountains with in the fort.
Mormugoa Fort now remains with some traces of the boundary wall and the chapel. Since the fort commands an excellent view, it is worth a visit.