One of the attractions of the old town of Bidar
is the remains of the ancient theological college, Mohamad Gawan Madrasa. Built in 1472 by Gawan, a Persian exile and scholar of the Bahmani
court, this was one of the greatest centers of Islamic learning of its time, attracting students from all over. This Persian-style, massive three-storeyed building was once surmounted by large bulbous domes and its walls are adorned with exquisite colorful tile work and inscriptions from the Quran. It once housed a world-famous library, a mosque, a laboratory, lecture halls, quarters for the teaching faculty and a students’ hostel. Though it suffered extensive damages, a large portion of the building still remains unharmed.