Mazagaon, one of the original seven islands that formed Mumbai, is a bustling residential and commercial area in the city. It is located about 3 km south of Cotton Green and around 5 km north of Colaba.
Mazagaon derives its name from the Sanskrit word ‘Matsya Gram’, meaning the fishing village. It saw the first known settlements as early as the 15th century when Mazagaon became a Portuguese island township. It was later mortgaged to the British in the mid-18th century.
Mazagaon has many monuments that speak volumes about its rich past. Rosary Church, St Peter's Church, Chinese temple (the only one in the city), Gaon Devi temple, Framji Patel Parsi Agiary, Mausoleum of Aga Khan Hassan Ali Shah, also called Mazagon's Taj Mahal because of is white dome and architecture and Bhandar Wada Water Reservoir (built in 1880) are some places worth visiting.
Mazagaon Docks and Bombay Port Trust are also based at Mazagaon.
Mazagaon can be reached from Byculla Road Station on the Central railways line or the Dockyard Road Station on the Harbour Railways line.
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is about 12 km to the north. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is around 4 km south.