Mahatma Gandhi College was established in 1948 at Vadassery Amma Veedu at Perumthanni and later shifted to the present site at Kesavadasapuram
. The main building was completed in 1958 and was inaugurated by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. It is a prime collegiate institution of the NSS with 4,000 students and 12 degree and 8 PG courses. The college has a library with internet connection. It offers degree courses in English, Malayalam, Hindi, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Sociology and post graduate courses in Economics, Malayalam, Hindi, Mathematics, Physics, Botany, and Zoology.