Kamptee is located in Nagpur District
and is around 17 km north-east of Nagpur
. Situated on the banks of the Kanhan River
, it was founded in 1821 by the British as a military cantonment. The town is also spelt as Kamthi and Kampthi.
The town has two markets, the Gujari Market and Sindhi Market, which are a century old. The 130-year-old Badi Masjid Mosque, 100-year-old Kosatel Mosque and Dragon Palace Temple are the major interests here. Today Kamptee Cantonment is an important officer training establishment of the Indian Army. An Institute of Military Law and a Military Hospital functions here.
The nearest airport is the Sonegaon Airport and Nagpur Junction Railway Station. National Highway 7 has its route through Kamptee.