Situated at the confluence of the Khelna and the Purna rivers, Jafferabad is a taluk headquarters of Jalna District
. It lies on the Longaon - Bhokardan
route and is to the north-east of Jalna
. Jafferabad is named after Jafar Khan, who held the place in jagir from the Mughal
Surrounded by a fortified stone wall, Jafferabad is dotted with several temples and mosques. One of the mosques carries a Persian inscription recording its construction. Large annual fairs are conducted at the principal temple here. Another attraction is a large water cistern with an inscription stating that it was built at the orders of Shah Jahan by Mustafa Khan in 1630.
Bhokardan and Assaye to the north-west, Devalgaon to the north-east and Naini to the south-west are among the surrounding places.
Jafferabad is connected by a branch road with the Aurangabad-Jalgaon Highway. Jalna Railway Station is the nearest major railhead. Aurangabad Airport is the nearest airport.