Idalcao's Palace is one of the oldest surviving buildings located in Panaji
, the capital city of Goa
. The designation 'Idalcaon' is the Portuguese
corrupted word for Adil Shah Khan, the sultan of Bijapur
. The palace was built on the site of the Adil Shah Palace near the Mandovi River
This large fortified building, with towers and battlements of Adil Shah, was rebuilt by the Portuguese in 1615. Primarily it was a fortress then it became the palace of viceroy’s of Goa for a short period. Now it houses Goa's secretariat, legislative assembly and other important government offices.
The nearest railway station is the Karmali Railway Station. Goa Airport is about 30 km from Panaji.