High Court of Kerala came into existence on 1st November 1956, with its seat at Ernakulam
. The court is situated at Ram Mohan Palace near the main boat jetty, in the heart of the city.
Presently, the sanctioned judge strength of the court is 26 permanent judges including the chief justice and two additional judges. The court has the power of superintendence over all courts/tribunals in Kerala and union territory of Lakshadweep. The judges sit in single, division bench and in specifically referred cases in full bench and larger bench.