Govindaji Temple, built in the year 1590, is located in Vrindavan
, Uttar Pradesh
. Vrindavan is about 15 km from Mathura
Built by Man Singh from Jaipur (a general in Emperor Akbar's army), this magnificent temple was initially seven stories high, with an altar of marble, silver and gold. The main hall is decorated by a lotus flower that weighs several tons. A part of this temple was destroyed by
Aurangzeb and his army.
The presiding deities are Govindaji (in the middle), to his left is Lord Chaitanya and to his right is Lord Nityananda. The idols of Lord Krishna, Radha and Lord Jagannath are also worshipped here. A Govardhana shila is seen below the idol of Lord Krishna.