The Government Sanskrit College at Thiruvananthapuram
was founded in 1889 by His Highness Maharaja Sri Mulam Tirunal of Travancore. The college was affiliated to the University of Madras
in 1936 and subsequently to the Tranvancore University (now University of Kerala
.) In 1948 the college was raised to a first grade degree college. Post graduate courses in Nyaya (logic) and Vedanta
(philosophy) were introduced in 1956 and Sahitya (literature) and Vyakarana (grammar) in 1962. The college now imparts instruction mainly in Sanskrit Sastras (Sciences.) Degree courses in Nyaya, Vayakarana, Sahitya, Vedanta and Jyothisha (astronomy) and post graduate courses in Nyaya, Vayakarana, Sahitya and Vedanta and Ph. D programs are conducted in this college.