Government Arts College, Thiruvananthapuram
, was established in 1866 by the Maharaja of Travancore as a division of the University College. The college started B. A. Economics and B. Com in 1971. The college has two wings (army and navy) of the NCC. The three units of National Service Scheme and various science clubs provide a platform for talented students to develop their skills in extracurricular activities. The Parent Teacher Association provides all possible help to the developmental activities. Graduate courses in Economics, Physics and post graduate courses in Analytical Chemistry, English, and Economics are offered. The college has won the R. Sankar Award two times for its performance in sports and games.