Gogunda is a major town in Udaipur District
and is around 35 km north-west of Udaipur
Steeped in history, the place witnessed for the death of the Mewar ruler Maharana Udai Singh II, the founder of Udaipur, in 1572 and the accession of his eldest son Maharana Pratap (1572-1597). Gogunda was the capital of Pratap until he moved to the new capital Kumbhalgarh. Mughal commander Man Singh captured this place after the Battle of Haldighati.
A white marble Chhatri dedicated to Maharana Pratap's horse Chetak is located here. Other interests are palaces and a number of Hindu and Jain temples.
Nearest airport and railhead are at Udaipur.