With an illustrious past, George Town, the oldest area of Chennai, lies north-east of Chennai Central Railway Station
. The town sprang up in 1653 with the completion of the Fort St George
. It was granted its first municipal charter in 1688 by James II, making it the oldest municipality in India.
Decorative domes and corridors are the main landmarks in George Town. To the south of George Town is Fort St George, which is a historic site and houses important buildings. Anderson's Church, Armenian Church and St Andrew's Kirk are located in this area. Other attractions are Chennakeshava and Chenna Mallikeshava Temples, Pantheon Complex, Lighthouse, High Court, Bronze Gallery, Government Museum, National Art Gallery and Gallery of Contemporary Art.