The College of St Paul was built over the ruins of a mosque at Old Goa
in 1542 and was the principal institution of Jesuits in India for spreading the knowledge on Christianity. It was abandoned during the outbreak of plague in 1570 and the government demolished it in 1832.
Facade in the shape of an arch with a niche at its top, crowned by a cross is what remains today. The arch is made of laterite, flanked on either side by a basalt column of the Corinthian style and supported by basalt pilasters of Doric style.
Gate of the College of St Paul is located at Old Goa 9 km east of Panaji.