Galna is a twin fort that lies 23 km north of Malegaon
, in Nasik District
. Steeped in history, the fort was a prominent place during the end of the 15th century. The Mughal
captured it in 1704, and in 1818, it was occupied a company of native infantry. Further, it is believed to have been once used as a sanatorium for Dhulia.
A broad flight of steps lead to the fort. There are four gateways, namely, Parkot, Lokhandi, Kotval Pir and Lakha, of which Lokhandi gateway is noted for its iron plates. The upper walls of the fort consist of bastions, which are semi-circular in shape.
One of the interesting areas here is a mosque topped with six small domes. It is inclusive of a small room and a beautifully carved out stone window. The mosque is accessible through a stone staircase. Besides, the tomb of a European officer, who is believed to have committed suicide in grievance for having killed an old woman, can be seen. There are also seven other tombs on the hilltop.
The ruins of Rang Mahal, also known as Pleasure Palace, can be seen nearby.