Farrukhabad is located 5 km west of Fatehgarh
, on the banks of Ganges
, in Uttar Pradesh
. Founded in 1714 by Muhammad Khan Bangash, an independent Mughal governor, Farrukhabad forms a twin city with Fatehgarh.
Farrukhabad was seized by the Afghans and later by the Marathas in 1751. The town came under the control of the British in 1802 and remained with them until India’s independence in 1947.
Farrukhabad was once an important river port and trading center, but it has declined in importance with the shift from waterways to rail transport. The city has many old buildings dating from earlier periods. Farrukhabad is famous for handprinting and it stands testimony to the craftsmanship of the native artisans.
Farrukhabad Railway Station lies on the Mathura-Kanpur line.