Ela is a village in North Goa District
and is located on the outskirts of Old Goa
. It was the capital of the Bahmani dynasty
and later of the Portuguese colonial rulers.
The Bahmani dynasty, which had its headquarters at Old Goa, made Ela as its capital around the year 1470. This village became an important trading center with the help of the Sultans of Bijapur. It was captured by the Portuguese in 1510.
Shri Gomanteshwar Temple is located nearby.
Karmali Railway Station is the nearest railhead.