Edakkal Caves, 1000 m high, is located on the Ambukuthi Hills
, about 10 km from Sultan Bathery
, in Wayanad District
. It is actually a cleft of about 96 ft long and 22 ft wide. Literally meaning 'a stone in between', Edakkal Caves are formed by a large split in a huge rock. According to legends, these caves were formed by the arrows fired by Lava-Kusha
– the sons of Lord Ram
Discovered in 1890 by Fred- Fawcett - the then superintendent of police of the Malabar District, Edakkal Caves were the abode of the Neolithic man. It represents world's richest photographic gallery of its kind. Edakkal caves stand out in their exquisite carvings, which are believed to be the handiwork of Kurumabars – a tribal people of Wayanad.
Edakkal Caves are located on an ancient trade route, linking the high ranges of Mysore with the ports of Malabar. Ambalavayal, 25 km from Kalpetta, is easily accessible through a one kilometer trail from Edakkal.