Colvale Fort is located on the left bank of the estuary of the Bardez River. The court of Alvor built this fortress in 1681 as a barrier against the encroachment of the Marathas and Bhonsles. Marathas captured it in 1739. Colvale fort was later recaptured by the Marquis of Lourical. Abandoned and neglected for years, only traces remain of the once imposing structure of the Colvale fort.