Located about seven kilometers from Panaji
, the Church of St Peter is located near Ribandar
, in Old Goa
. It is presumed to have been built in 1542. As per an official record, this church was built by Portuguese architect at the expense of the public treasury. There is also a belief that it was built at the orders of the Archbishop Dom Fr Alexio de Menezes.
This church is comparably small in size and has an antique look. It is dedicated to St Peter, the prince of the apostles, whose image can be seen on one of the altars. The main altar has an old wooden frame grafted with thin marine shells, through which a bluish light is filtered.
The floor carries some inscriptions which are almost scored out. The inscriptions found in the entrance mention the name of Joao Rodrigues Machado.