Chitrakala Mandira School of Art is situated in the heart of Udupi
. The school was established in the year 1971. The school is housed in the Jangama Mutt, a monastery built by the Keladi king Somashekar Nayaka in 1740.
Courses include drawing, painting, graphics and sculpture in metal, fiber and clay. Presently 60 full-time students are enrolled in the school. The school has produced more than 1000 artists since its inception. The school arranges art-camps, art-demonstrations and art-discussions. Students are also trained in music and dramatics. The school has a good orchestra and drama team and well known artists from all spheres of fine art have lectured there.
The school is surrounded by a garden, a pond and 4 wells. Also, the school has an art gallery. The school hosts exhibitions and sponsors functions for the promotion of art.