Established on the 17th May 1918, the Central Institute of Psychiatry (CIP), formerly Ranchi European Lunatic Asylum, is a 673-bedded hospital situated at Kanke
in Ranchi District
. There are 16 wards, 6 wards for the female and 9 wards for the male patients, and one family unit.
The hospital is managed by Directorate General of Health Services and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi. It serves the needs of the people of India and also the neighboring countries of Nepal and Bhutan. The building has various departments such as rehabilitation center and sheltered workshop, occupational therapy department and neuroradiology department.
CIP aims at caring mentally ill patients. A team of trained staff supervised by caring sisters meets all the requirements of the patients.
The institute offers training in behavioral sciences to the medical and paramedical personnel from other organizations. It conducts post-graduate courses in psychiatry, clinical psychology and psychiatric social work, and psychiatric nursing. The outpatient department, located in a double storied building outside the hospital, is open from 8:30 to 16:00 hrs except on holidays.