Calvathy Jamath Mosque, one of the oldest mosques in Kerala
, is located at
on the outskirts of the Ernakulam
city. Built by the Arabs in 1384, this structure is noted for its stupendous Kerala style of architecture. The mosque has a timber ceiling but no minarets. A water tank in the centre is in keeping with the traditional architecture. The mosque is managed by the Jamath Pally.
The body of Faridudeen Aulia, a preacher of the Quran, is preserved in this mosque. On Thursdays and Sundays special prayers are offered to him.
Spread on a 2-acre plot the mosque has a burial ground and is planted with many rare trees and plants. An important feature of the mosque is that its necropolis is open to all sects of the Muslim community.
Nearest railway station: Ernakulam Junction Railway Station.