The administrative headquarters of Bulandshahr District
, Bulandshahr is situated on the banks of Kali River and is 64 km southeast of New Delhi
. The major landmark in the city is a clock tower built by a king named Ahibaran. Since it stood on an elevated land, the town came to be known as ‘high city.’ (Bulandshahr in Persian means 'high city.')
Mahmood of Ghazna ruled this town in 1018. It came under the rule of the
Mughals in the 14th century and was finally annexed by the East India Company in 1805.
The town is a prominent center for trade in the district, owing to its proximity with Delhi. The surrounding area of the city is widely cultivated and is extensively irrigated by the Ganges Canal. It is an important milk-producing center.
Nearest airport is the Indira Gandhi International Airport at New Delhi. Bulandshahr Railway Station is on the