Begum ka Bagh was laid out by Shah Jahan's
in 1650. There are water pools, aqueducts, and fountains. Chuttries (covered canopies) were built at selected places to provide shady resting places. The garden is surrounded by flowering bushes and fruit trees. The grounds are watered by Ali Mardan's canal.
A portion of this garden was gifted by the later Mughal Emperor Shah Alam II to his mother, Begum Samro, who built a palace here. This building is now known as Bhagirath Palace, and has a market inside it, one of the oldest shopping centers in Delhi.