The Cantonment area in Bangalore
comprises of eastern suburban areas such as Shivajinagar, Fraser Town, Benson Town, Cleveland Town, Cox Town, Richard's Town, Whitefield
. Established in 1809, it was previously a British administered region, serving as a military station and residential area for the British soldiers and their families.
From 1862 to 1947, Bangalore contained two different municipal bodies; one controlling the parts of the city coming under the administration of the Mysore kingdom and the other the British controlled Cantonment. Europeans, Anglo-Indians missionaries and Tamil-speaking laborers and traders from the erstwhile Madras Presidency were the residents of this area. These Tamil emigrants still occupy parts of this region and form a sizeable proportion of the local population.
Bangalore Cantonment Railway Station, situated in this region, is the second major railway station in the city. The other major railhead is the Bangalore City Junction Railway Station, located west of the area. The nearest airport is Bangalore International Airport.