Bahadurgarh town was established by Rathi Jats. It was formerly known as Sharafabad. Mughal Emperor Alamgir II
gave the town to Bahadur Khan and Tej Khan, two Baluchis of Farrukhannagar, in 1775. A fort named Bahadurgarh Fort was constructed there by them. Bahadurgarh came into the hands of Sindhia in 1793. After his defeat in 1803 at the hands of the British, Lord Lake conferred Bahadurgarh on a brother of the Nawab of Jhajjar. It was confiscated after the First War of Independence (1857.) It became a division of the Rohtak district in 1860.
The town is only twenty-nine kilometers from Delhi. Now it is has developed into a main centre of industry.