Ambarnath Temple is situated in Thane District
. This exquisite temple was built by Chittaraja — a king of the Silhara dynasty — in the late 11th century. An inscription above the north-facing door of the temple states AD 1060 as the date of construction. Ambarnath temple is perhaps the oldest shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva
in the coastal parts of Maharashtra
The temple is made of richly carved stone blocks and consists of a sanctum and mandap, which are articulated diagonally along a central axis and approached by three porches. The mandap has a bell roof and a shikhara with multiple turrets. The mandap's concave ceiling has an ornate pattern carved into it. It has a circular step-cut roof. It has three doors, in the north, south and west. The main door is in the west and it has an idol of Nandi under the porch. The north and south doors are in a line.
The sanctum is an uneven circle from the outside. Its roof was shaped as a spire, but it has partly collapsed. The temple's sides are irregular and one view is that, its floor plan is based on a spread-out tiger skin (Shiva's mat). The carvings on the temple's outer walls are based on Shiva, Ganesh and Nandi.
Ambarnath is 52 km from Dadar Central Railway Station. The temple is a five minutes' auto ride from the Ambarnath Railway Station.