Located at the village of Aloobari, on the eastern incline of Jalaphar Hill, the Aloobari Monastery is one of the oldest Buddhist monasteries in Darjeeling
. It was built in 1914 during the first world war. Hence, the monastery was named Mag-Dhog (warding off the war) and is dedicated for world peace. It was constructed by Sangay Lama, a highly honored religious leader of the Yolmowas - a small ethnic group from north-east of Nepal who settled in Darjeeling.
Buddhist culture is exemplified in a simple and effective way in this three-storey monastery. The statues of Lord Buddha and Padma Sambhava, and the ancient scriptures imprinted here are noteworthy. The paintings on the walls with herbs and grass illustrate various stories. Sikkimese and Tibetan handicrafts and religious objects are sold here.