Ahilyabai Ghat is one among the numerous ghats at Varanasi
and was originally called Kevelyagiri Ghat. It was later rebuilt by Ahilyabai Holkar
, the Queen of Indore
, in 1778.
Proper steps and platforms were built for facilitating the pilgrims to take bath in the Ganges River. The queen had earlier assisted in the renovation of the nearby Vishveshvara temple.