The 19th Century Light House is located about 5 km west of Pondicherry Town
. The earlier sea-farers were guided by the beacon kept burning on the Red Hills (Gorimedu). Presently the light house lies on the edge of the sea near the Place Du Gouvernement.
Inaugurated in 1836, the light is placed upon a masonry tower, 29 m above sea level and was visible up to a distance of 29 km into the sea. The fixed light was replaced by a revolving lantern in 1931.