Lal Dighi is a large quadrangular water-body located in the heart of BBD Bagh
, the administrative hub of Kolkata
. It was built in 1709 by the British. This tank was created to supply drinking water to the city, but is a bathing pool today. The bordering garden is a parking lot and an unsightly garage.
Lal Dighi is surrounded by Telephone Bhavan in the south,
Writers' Building in the north, General Post Office in the west and BBD Bagh mini bus stand in the east.