Built in 1768, Radha Govinda Temple at Atapura
is a replica of the Brindavan Chandra Temple of Guptipara
. Atapura is 60 km north-west of Kolkata
. The temple was built in 1708 by the then diwan of princely state of Burdwan, Krishna Ram Mitra. The entrance of the temple faces the square structure. The hipped-roofed mandap and the ceiling, which is shaped like the hull of a ship, are decorated with terracotta figures. Sculptures denoting various stories from the Mahabharata
and the Ramayana
can be seen on the front wall and the side walls. The Dol-Mancha and Chandi Mandap adjacent to the main temple are also beautifully crafted.