Mainpuri, the administrative headquarters of the Mainpuri District
, is situated around 120 km northeast of Agra
in Uttar Pradesh
Mainpuri and the surrounding places were part of the old kingdom of Kannauj (Kanauj). Later the town came under the control of the
Mughals in the 16th century. Marathas wrested power in 18th century but only to cede the territory to the British in 1801.
Mainpuri is a major trade center for agricultural products in the state. Cotton ginning, oilseed milling and lamp and glass manufacture constitute the prominent industries. The town is also a renowned for its tobacco and wooden sculptures.
The major tourist interests are the Raja’s palace and Garhi.
Mainpuri railway station is on Agra-