Kapaleeswarar Temple, located at the southern part of Katcheri Road in south Mylapore
, is a holy relic dating back to 1250. Though the temple could have been built much later, it has inscriptions from the 13th century, which could have originally belonged to the earlier shore temple destroyed by Portuguese invaders.
Lord Shiva is the presiding deity of the Kapaleeswarar Temple. Karpagambal, his consort, is another major deity. The architecture is a supreme example of ancient Dravidian style, with typical side entrances, gopurams, courts and a tank built around the central shrine. The 37 m tall gopuram (pillar) is carved with stucco gods, goddesses, and saints. The bronze statues of 63 Shaivite saints adorn the temple courtyard. The courtyard also has a Punnai tree, one of the oldest trees in
Chennai. The tree has a small shrine that depicts the legend that gave Mylapore its name. The tank, once full of water, was best seen during the Theppam or float festival every January when lighted lamps would be set afloat on the waters. This tank is now dry.
The Temple is well-linked by roads. Mylapore has its own railhead, and the nearest airfield is the Chennai International Airport.