Also called `the Queen of Scottish Churches in the East,' St Andrew's Church is one of the finest specimens of Georgian architecture in the Indian sub-continent. There is an arching dome coloured with Lapis Lazuli. The sixteen fluted Corinthian columns also add to the beauty of the church. The Church, also known as 'the Kirk,' was built in 1780, on the site of Freemasons Lodge. A special feature of the Kirk is its unseen foundation. Consecrated in 1821, it is now part of the Church of South India (CSI). It was erected basically for the Scottish community in Chennai
. Major Thomas Fort de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell were the persons behind the construction. The wood work and the black and white marble floor add beauty to this church.