Dilwara, famous for the ancient Jain temples, is situated just 2.5 km from Mount Abu
, in Sirohi District
. Dilwara Temples are a composite cluster of five exquisitely carved temples in marble. These temples, which date back to 11th and 13th century, are considered as a masterpiece in temple architecture.
The first Jain temple of Dilwara is the Vimala Vasahi Temple built in 1021 AD by Vimal Shah, a minister of Raja Bhimdeo. The other four temples are the Luna Vashi Temple, Risah Deo Temple, Parshavanath Temple - the tallest shrine at Dilwara – and Mahaveer Swami Temple.
Of the five shrines in this group, the first two temples are completely built in white marble featuring intricate carvings and ornamentation work on its walls, doors, pillars, mandaps and ceilings. All the temples have a walled courtyard and the deity is enshrined in a cell situated at the center of the courtyard. The design of the temples portrays the life stories of Jain Tirthankars, images of gods and goddesses and great men from Jain and Hindu Mythologies.
Abu Road Railway station, on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Ajmer-Jaipur-Delhi route, is the nearest railhead.