Kuldhara village is 18 km to the west of Jaisalmer
. This is among the 84 villages inhabited by the prosperous, hardworking Paliwals. Established by the Kuldhar sub-caste of Paliwal Brahmins in the year 1291, it was once a prosperous village with 600 houses.
Kuldhara is a calm place and the ruins found around are examples of advanced sculpture and architecture. Most of the houses are double storied and are not affected by thunder or heat. Paliwals deserted theses houses owing to several reasons. Their one time richness can be seen in the wells, water tanks, temples and cenotaphs.