Jalore, the seat of administration of Jalore District
, is an ancient town situated south of the Sukri River
and is 113 km south-west of Jodhpur
, in Rajasthan
. The monuments and temples dotting the town tell volumes about its glorious past. It is a famous center of pilgrimage for the Jains. Jalore is also called ĎSuvarnagirií, after the hill at the foot of which the town is situated.
Jalore was a flourishing town in the 8th century under the Pratihar kings. A number of temples and residential buildings took shape during the reign of the Hindu rulers, who were great patrons of art and architecture. Two of greatest poetic works of India, namely 'Kuvalayamala' and 'Kanhad Dev Prabandh', took origin in this town. In the medieval period, Jalore was the capital of the Chauhan
Rajputs before being captured by the Delhi Emperor Ala-ud-Din Khilji in 1310. It became a part of Jodhpur state in 1707.
Places of tourist interest include Jalore Fort, Mosque of Malik Shah, 8th century Jain temples and Top Khana.
Nearest airport is at Jodhpur. Jalore is connected by road with Udaipur (138 km), Sirohi (56 km), Jodhpur and Jaisalmer (240 km).