Phillaur Fort is an ancient fort situated on the banks of the Sutlej River
The fort has come a long way over the centuries. From the ruins in the early 17th century it was converted to a serai in the latter half of the century and then to a sort of mud fort in the 18th century. It grew into prominence when it became the military bastion of Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1809-12. The British converted it into to the Police training College and after Independence; it became the Punjab Police Academy.
Smaller in size, the Phillaur fort has huge entrance gates and meandering paths leading to the inner residential palace. It also has moats or ditches surrounding the outer boundary.