India | Maharashtra

Mahim




Mahim is a historic settlement and one of the original seven islands that were joined together to form the present day Mumbai. It is located to the north of Matunga and about 13 km from Churchgate. The known history of Mahim begins from the 13th century when the place was the capital of the kingdom of Raja Bhimdev. It was called Mahikawati then. In AD 1343, the Mohammedans of Gujarat gained possession of Mahim; the Mahim Mosque and Dargah of Makhtum Fakir Ali Paru were built during their reign. In AD 1543, the Portuguese, who already have established trading centers on Panjim in Goa, took control of Mahim by force. The St Andrew's Church in Bandra still reflects a gleam of those days.

A hundred odd years later, after the arrival of the Portuguese, Mahim passed hands to the British. In AD 1662, Mahim, along with the other six islands, were given as a part of the wedding dowry for the Portuguese princess Catherine of Braganza, on the occasion of her wedding to the English King, Charles the II. In AD 1668, Mumbai was acquired by the East India Company on lease from the crown, for the annual sum of 10 pounds in gold! The Mahim Fort, which is virtually in ruins now, was constructed during this period in order to render protection from a possible Portuguese invasion.

In 1845, a causeway was made connecting Mahim and Bandra. Mahim gained prominence as a residential and commercial area after Maharashtra Municipal Corporation decided to develop it as a suburb of Mumbai in 1913. With the completion of the three major north-south access roads - Western Express highway, N. M. Joshi Marg, and Tulsi Pipe Road, Mahim saw a surge in terms of new settlements and commercial establishments.

Now Mahim is bustling with scores of restaurants, businesses and place of entertainments. In addition, Mahim also has a pride array of temples, churches and mosques. Bombay Scottish School, Maharashtra Nature Park and the convent of Our Lady of Salvation are located in this part of the city.

Mahim Railway Station is located on the Matunga Road Bandra suburban rail line of Western Railways.

Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is about 12 km north. Nearest major railhead is Bandra Terminus Railway Station. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Railway Station is around 10 km south.



Updated on 7th June, 2005
District: Greater Mumbai

Bus Stations (1) Post Offices (1)
Multi Cuisine Restaurants (1) Trains and Railway Stations (1)
 

Keyword

Copyright 2014 by Online Highways LLC. Enjoy some India trivia. Send Us Your Comments