Afghan Memorial Church of St John the Baptist, also known as St John's Church, is located in the
area in Mumbai
just beyond the Colaba Post office. It is an Anglican Church dedicated to St John the Evangelist and built to honour the British soldiers who lost their lives in the Afghan wars of the late 19th century.
The imposing Gothic arches and beautiful stained-glass windows give the church an impressive appearance. Dating back to 1847, the church walls are made of a mixture of rubble and coarse 'Kurla' stone (buff coloured basalt). The piers, arches, coignes and dressings are of Porbunder stone. The chancel floor is made of encaustic tiles inlaid with coloured clay imported from England. It has a beautiful altar, tall pinnacles, 21 lancet windows with beautiful stained glass fixed in the triangular apexes, on either side of the nave.