Shajapur, also spelt as Shahjapur, is the administrative headquarters of Shajapur District
. Founded in 1640 by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, the town is the corrupted name of Shahjahanpur. The town lies west of the Lakunda River. Shajapur is around 80 km north-east of Indore
The town is an important agricultural market of the district. Mandir of Rodeshwari Mata, Dasi Hanuman Mandir, Bheroogarh Tekari are the important pilgrim centers of Shajapur.
Nearest airport is at Indore.
Shajapur Railway Station is on the Ujjain-Guna line.
National Highway 3 passes through Shajapur.